Wednesday 16 March 2011

I Do, I Do, I Do



"Love me or leave me
Make your choice, but believe me..."

Three years ago today the great Ola Brunkert, drummer for ABBA, died after an accidental fall at the age of 61. Brunkert hit his head against a glass door in his dining room in Mallorca, shattering the glass and cutting himself in the neck. He had managed to wrap a towel around his neck and leave the house to seek help, but collapsed in the garden.

Strangely enough, when I was in M&S today snatching a few stolen moments with Myra, my favourite mannequin, 'I Do, I Do, I Do' came on. Not one of Ola's grooviest moments, I'll concur, but nevertheless an ABBA song of which I am unwaveringly fond. Its torpid post-glam triplets, sleazy saxes and screamingly predictable key lift at the end all say 'IT'S CHRIIIIIIIIIISTMAS!' to me. Albeit Christmas on your own with a pale ale down the Emmanuel Street Labour Club in Plungington.

This ABBA performance is notable for those electric blue suits and the palpable tension between Agnetha and Frida, who loathed each other's guts at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment