Tuesday 12 April 2011

Song 4 Mutya


"I'm driving fast, I feel so fine
I've got Prince singing 'Hot Thing' to me
I know every line
So I pull up to the red light
Sitting there in my car
I look up to my right
And there you are
Sat there with some new girl - what is this?
That's who has replaced me - what a diss!"

Normally, the music of Groove Armada makes me shiver with a nameless dread, but I went a bundle on this collaboration with ex-Sugababe Mutya Buena in 2007.

There's something about the way she narrates those opening lines that tickles and terrifies me in equal measure. Maybe it's because she looks a lot like a girl I went to school with who gave me a deserved whalloping once for "using big words". I definitely wouldn't fuck with Mutya. I bet what she has done to toilet attendants in clubs over the years would send Cheryl Cole running for her mummy.

The groove of 'Song 4 Mutya' is a replayed version of the fantastic 'Let's Be Adult' by Ambitious Lovers, Arto Lindsay's skewed pop project with keyboardist Peter Scherer. Lindsay was also in no-wavers DNA, The Golden Palominos and John Zorn's Locus Solus ensemble.

But back to Mutya. A quick scan of Wikipedia reveals that she is now training to be a child psychologist and paid £5,000 for bum implants in 2009, a procedure I doubt Arto Lindsay has ever considered.

The much-venerated Pitchfork Media described 'Song 4 Mutya' as 'inspired' and 'glorious'.



2 comments:

  1. I've loved the Mutya track since I first heard it, thanks for reminding me of how awesome it is!

    ReplyDelete